Thursday, January 19, 2017

How I manage to budget $50 per week on groceries

As a family of 5 + dog and cooking 4 times a day (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner - sometimes dessert) budgeting is the hardest task for me. I dont buy a lot of pre-made food as I love to cook and make sure that my family is getting the kind of nutrition i like while making sure I stick with my tiny budget and buying SOME organic products as well.

So here's my trick, I DONT always look on what's on sale since in our case most of them are not the kinds that we used. I shop at Kroger every Sunday (sometimes Wednesday coz that's the time they changed their sale items) morning and have a list of the following:

  • Organic banana ($1.50)
  • Organic mushroom ($3)
  • Napa Cabbage ($1.50)
  • Organic carrot (this last us almost a month) ($2.50)
  • Organic potatoes (last us 2 weeks) $2.50)
  • Whatever they have on sale for other fruits and veggies (not sure about your store but here they have that 99cents area for veggies and fruits that is on their "prime" so they want to get rid of them fast.) ($3)
  • Organic Milk (4 - half gallons we prefer the one on the box coz they dont taste plasticky) ($12)
  • Orange Juice ($2.50)
  • Organic Yogurt ($3)
  • Cheese ($3)
  • whatever meat they have on sale (ON sunday morning they usually have extra discounts coz they want to get rid of them, i make sure i smell and look for signs that it is bad before I decided they are the one) ($10) IF there is no good meat sale I buy a rotisserie chicken ($6) and a ground beef ($4)
  • sliced bread ($1)
  • burger buns ($1)
  • tortilla ($1.50)
  • Potato chips or corn chips ($2)
  • TOTAL $50 (TX dont have sales tax for food so that helps a lot)
This change really based on what I see that is on sale but you can get an idea on the areas I go they are the produce first, then dairy, then bread and last is the meat. If i get extra on my budget i get to buy an ice cream for the kids or some kind of treats that they can have beside of what I baked for desserts.

Then every end of the month we go to Costco with $100 budget to buy Organic eggs, sometimes cheese, rice, condiments and toiletries (dog food and 2yo diapers last us 3months or more).

Oh make sure you get to know your meat and produce workers in your store, they usually let you know what is on sale or what will be on extra sale that day or the coming days. I dont shop around as I feel it is a waste of my time and gas too. With a 2yo my hands are tied of making things done as quick as possible.

So I set aside $350 for home stuff budget. I only use $300 per month for groceries and toiletries/other stuff while the extra $50 is for emergency in case something come up and we need to fix something in the house.

Having said all this. Our family spend $2/each person per day and that is with 4 decent meal. I use Pinterest a lot to get an idea on what to cook for the week based on what I bought that Sunday. We dont like repeating much food all the time so I dont go for that cook in bulk and freeze it BUT that is us. Find the kind that will work for you and learn from that. Also, In summer we get to enjoy more meat coz I buy less veggies, we have an organic garden so that helps tremendously (hello grilling season haha)

I hope this post inspire you that if we can do it with 5 person in the house (2 adults, 1 senior, 2 kids and a dog) then you can too. Imagine if you are living by yourself or as a couple you can save a lot by reducing your grocery bills without giving up a delicious meal.

Let me know how you budget too as I would love to hear how i can improve mine. 

Thanks for being here!

free, freebie, freebies, giveaway, free coupons, free printable coupons, savings, how to save, sweepstakes, religion, politics, bank, financial advisor, snl, funny, home buyer, loan, mortgage, interest rate, rate, trump, fha, 30 years loan, loan, rising rate, foreclosure, lender, mortgage calculator, home, housing, first time home buyer, buying home, questions to ask, how to, what is 2017 interest rate, housing rate, inauguration, women's march, free tax filing, donald trump, protest, anti-trump protest, protest, kelly clarkson, anna farris, 2017, potus, w2, how to file tax, obamacare, repeal, aca, affordable care act, texas, what to do, what is the best, how to, things to do, parenting, blogging, social media, instagram, twitter, facebook, vine, account, bank, what is, how to fix, state parks, direction, restaurant, jesus, hell, catholic, jew, brexit, how to blog, stay at home mom, how to earn money at home, rv, car, new home, new car, baby, milestone, pregnancy, baby milestones, wikileaks, wikipedia, weather, free calculator, learn online, online tools, tools, board meeting, 2017 pickup trucks, discount airfares, best hotel, travel, tiny homes, trailer homes, recipe, honda pilot, funny videos
trisha yearwood, ryan reynolds, michael keaton, sara kapfer, scarlett johansson, wayne coyne, 




No comments:

Post a Comment