Sunday, December 9, 2018

REVIEW - DJI Phantom Pro 4 common problem. What to do when DJI Phantom Pro 4 crash



I crashed my DJI Phantom Pro 4 a few months ago and finally ordered the parts at Amazon for $37.66

I really hope the parts arrive today or I may forget where all the tiny screws go back. 



Thankfully I didn't break anything while taking it apart.

I've had the drone for 2 years and it is really amazing to fly and the videos it can take are pretty incredible (clarity, contrast, motion,etc). The camera 4k and has a 1 inch sensor, pretty awesome.



As you can imagine it's not easy to take this drone apart to make repairs. I should have taken a video of the process.  
I'm going to video the assembly and put it on youtube and just state that if you want to take it apart to fix compass wires and replace/repair landing gear and sensors then just play it backwards. 


After getting it apart I found the issue other than the landing gear being broke. One of the compass wires had been damaged. I've counted total of 16 sensors on this thing with two of the sensors being sound/sonar and 14 optical type sensors that help keep the drone flying. It also has a compass and gyro to help it navigate and stay positioned.

The first pic is of the 4k camera. It doesn't appear to be damaged from the crash.

The second picture is of the compass and wires coming off of it on both ends. Disconnecting those connectors were a bit difficult because my eye is not focusing so well this past week and you need some special tweezers to disengage the wire clips. Luckily I have an assortment of tweezers.


The third photo is the underside of the shell of the drone that houses the majority of the electronics and all but 4 of the optical parts of sensors which connect back to the main board.


The drone does require lots of software/firmware updates which can take time during setup. Some people may consider this a negative and although annoying it helps keep things working properly and safely.

I'll post some video once it is up and flying.

If you are in the market for a drone I would recommend DJI as being one of the best for hobbyists and professional. They have a range of drones for everyone and the quality is too notch. Right now you can get a good price of a bundle from Amazon and this is a such a great deal (price wise).


I've noticed you can get used ones on Ebay at a great price too.

No comments:

Post a Comment